- What is a cookie?
- How can cookies be disabled?
Information about cookies
- What is a cookie?
What is a cookie? A cookie is a small text file stored by the computer when a website is visited by an user. The text stores information the website is able to read when it is seen at a later time. Some of these cookies are necessary for the proper operation of the website, others are useful to the visitor because they can safely store data such as the user name or language settings. The advantage of having cookies installed on your PC is that you will not need to fill out the same information each time you want to access a website visited previously.
How to disable cookies:
You can change your browser to turn off cookies through a very simple procedure. Warning: disabling cookies, both username and password will no longer be stored on the login box of the website.
- 1. Open Firefox;
- 2. At the top of the Firefox window, click on the ‘Firefox’ button and then select ‘Options’.
- 3. Click on “Tools” at the top of your browser window and select “Options”
- 4. Then select the “Privacy” tab.
- Go to “Settings History,” and then “Use custom settings”. Uncheck “Accept cookies from websites” and save preferences.
- 1. Open Internet Explorer;
- 2. Click on “Tools”, then “Internet Options”
- Select the “Privacy” tab and move the slider to the privacy level you want to set (up to block all cookies or down to allow all of them).
- 4. Then, click on OK
- 1. Open Google Chrome;
- 2. Click on “Tools.”
- Select “Settings” and then “Advanced Settings”.
- 4. Select “Content settings” under “Privacy”.
- 5. In the tab “Cookies” you can deselect cookies and save preferences
- 1. Open Safari;
- 2. Select the “Preferences” in the tool bar and then select the “Security” panel in the following dialogue box
- In the section “Accept Cookies” you can specify if and when Safari should save the cookies from websites. For more information click on the Help button (labeled with a question mark)
4. 4. For further information about cookies stored in your pc, please click on “Show cookies”.